Friday, January 4, 2019
RJ Byrd has recently started the interview and hiring process for a client looking for an Assistant Controller. Dallas/Fort Worth is the headquarters location for this company and they operate a multi-location business. This is a great opportunity for someone who is motivated by projects and process improvement. As a result of its focus, this opportunity will interact across the company—Executive, IT, Operations, Sales, Marketing, etc. The Assistant Controller is both a hands-on and leadership role that coordinates the organization’s closing processes, external audits and related activities. The Assistant Controller manages the company-wide monthly, quarterly, and annual closing processes, as well as the inventory accounting team. By effectively managing the closing process and post-close reviews, the Assistant Controller leads the department-wide continuous improvement initiative by influencing and partnering with his/her peers. Most activities of this position are completed without management’s direct supervision or approval.
- Coordinate and prepare the monthly closing checklist and conduct progress checks throughout the closing process.
- Coordinate annual external audits and quarterly reviews. Function as primary liaison with external auditors.
- Maintain accounting and internal reporting calendars and manage company-wide close process to promote accuracy and timeliness of reporting.
- Execute internal control activities, providing a deficiency-free function.
- Provide robust inventory and gross margin reporting and analysis.
- Ensure accuracy of Stock Ledger, inventory related accounts, and inventory reserves.
- Reconcile, analyze and maintain rates utilized in inventory accounting processes.
- Serve as subject matter expert relative to inventory accounting systems, and inventory-related general ledger accounts.
- Ensure team development; build skill sets and ensure adequate cross training, efficient deployment of resources and continued professional growth and development.
- Identify and champion process improvements across the accounting organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required; MBA or master’s degree in Accountancy preferred
- 7+ years corporate level accounting experience
- 3+ years leading company-wide closing processes
- 3+ years overseeing the inventory accounting function
- 5+ years in a supervisory role
- Public accounting experience preferred
- Retail or multi-unit experience preferred, in a high-volume and fast-paced environment
- CPA license with active status required
Other Skills & Abilities:
- Strong proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Large ERP/financial system proficiency
- Strong business partner with ability to provide insightful analysis and presentations
- Proven leadership and cross-functional teamwork skills
- Continuous improvement oriented
- Thrives in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-driven, dynamic business environment
- Project management, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
Subscribe To Our Blog
Director of Technical Accounting
Senior Financial Analyst
Strategic Project Manager
Manager Financial Reporting
Senior Vice President – Asset Management
Senior Recruiting Manager Accounting/Finance